Re: Steel moment frame connections

On 5/31 Tom Harris wrote:

>      Can someone give feedback / recommendations on current state of the art
> moment frame connections. What about experience with proprietary vs. non-
> proprietary ? This would be for a run of the mill two story retail / office in
> seismic zone 4 in a near fault type " B " area.

Generally- the following types of connections are commonly being used
today:

1- Reduced Beam Section (or dogbone).  Fairly economical and
reliable.  Design guidelines may be found in FEMA-267a.  At this
point, many tests have been run on this connection for beam sizes
varying from W18 to W36x150.  Commonly accepted by many building
departments.  Nonproprietary.

2- Cover Plates.   Nonproprietary.  Costly and mixed reliability.
Design guideliens contained in FEMA-267.  A number of tests have been
run up to W36x150.

3- Sideplates - Proprietary.  Extensive review by County of LA and
OSHPD.  Contact the supplier for more info.  I believe the supplier
goes by the name "Sideplate" but you can also get information from
Meyers & Houghton an SE firm in Southern California.

4- Slotted Web Connections.  Economical.  Reported to have 8 tests on
W36x150 members.  Contact the Allen Company, in Los Angeles for more
information.

Ronald O. Hamburger, SE
Regional Manager
EQE International, Inc.