Re: Base Isolator Types

Ross,

I'm not completely sure I understand your first question but offer this
information and hope that it helps.

The only general type of isolator I would add to your list would be
friction isolators. In this type of isolation system the energy dissipation
comes friction between two sliding surfaces. These devices typically
consist of some sort of teflon load bearing pad or articulated knuckle
sliding on a stainless steel surface. The sliding surface can either be
flat (no restoring force) or concave (constant period). If the sliding
surface is flat then some other component must provide the restoring force
in the isolation system.

Your second type represents a wide variety of elastomeric isolators. These
all consist of layers of elastomer bonded to steel shims. In one type of
this family the elastomer is a high damping compound meaning that the
rubber dissipates energy as it is deformed in shear. In another, the
lead-rubber isolator, the energy dissipation comes from the plastic shear
deformation of a cylindrical lead plug inserted at the isolator center.

Isolation is not generally considered as a solution for wind loads. In fact
the isolation system must incorporate some means to resist wind loads
without significant movement or the occupants of the structure will be
rather unimpressed.

Regards

Mark Sinclair
Dynamic Isolation Systems, Inc.