SEAOC Organizational Changes

As a member of the SEAOC Board of Directors, I would like to share my
view on the re-organization plans, currently under consideration by
the SEAOC board.  Please note that the what the SEAOC board is
currently engaged in is a planning exercise.  NO changes would
actually be institutted without the consent of the membership.
However, we live in a changing world, and our association must
change with it, or be left behind as an anachronism.

The basic purpose of SEAOC and the four regional SEAs of California
is to promote and advance the practice of structural engineering.
Traditionally, this has been done through several important efforts-

1- Providing continuing education to the membership.
2- Providing a forum, through the committee structure, for discussion
of common problems (both technical and professional) and development
of approaches to handling these.
3- Development and fostering of building code provisions and
regulations that are appropriate to design in California's high
seismicity enviornment.
4- Working with the State of California to support the professional
registration.
5- Setting standards of practice.
6- Working with communities and building departments on special
needs, such as retrofit ordinances, post-earthquake investigation
response, etc.
7- Providing a social forum for professionals with common interests.
8- Providing news to our members of important issues.
9- Making the political voice and views of structural engineers known
to the political community.

We originally evolved as four regional associations, concerned
primarily with regional issues and the political/development
enviornment of the major cities in each region - LA, SF, San Diego
and Sacramento.  These were small organizations of people who went to
school together, worked and competed on a daily basis and faced the
identical problems with the same clients and regulators.  This was 40
years ago.  As time marched on, so did technology and business
interests.  IT became more appropriate to have a state organization,
as well as regional organizations and SEAOC was born, with standing
state committees to coordinate much of the work.  That pattern has
served us well for 30 years now.  Our members did work all over the
State and the telephone, and airplane made coordination on a state
level practical.  Time, technology and business are again marching
on.  Today, professional registration and code issues, as well as
issues of professional practice are developing on a national rather
than state level.  To protect our members interests, and promote
structural engineering effectively, it is necessary for SEA to
operate on a national level.  It is very difficult to do this in the
same framework that has served us so well for the last 30 to 40
years.  We are looking at reorganization, not to become less
efficient and further removed from teh members, but to become more
effective in representing the interests of our members, where it will
do the most good.

No decisions have yet been made or direction chartered.  The
committee that has been appointed to look into this is just beginning
its work.  We will attempt to post on this server, updates on our
progress, so you can have ample opportunity to comment and provide
feed back.Ronald O. Hamburger, SE
Regional Manager
EQE International, Inc.
San Francisco, California