SEAOSC Board Inquiry from Warren

Bill Warren asked: "Is this a proposal to centralize the four existing
operations of the FOUR members of SEAOC, which are SEAONC, SEAOSD, SEAOCC and
SEAOSC. I am interested in membership opinion. "

We can have more effective organizations in several ways if you all want them.
Issues at the state level demand a stronger, more coordinated level of
activity than SEAOC currently supports.

As SEAOSC repeatedly demonstrates, much is accomplished working with local
governments and engineers at the regional level. But we shouldn't have to
compromise our regional capabilities by the demands at the state and national
level.

In a similar vein, while SEAOC accomplishes remarkable feats at the national
levels, our clout has clearly been diminished recently. SEAOC needs to change
with the times. To be effective in the national arena, engineers should become
more organized and increase participation under different umbrellas such as
BSSC, NMMC, ASCE/SEI, NCSEA, ICC, and the narrower venues ACI, AISC, MSJC, and
NDS.  (I'm not sure I've got all the alphabets in the soup.) It takes serious
resources - time and money - to participate in a coordinated fashion in these
groups. There are currently many outspoken, influential California engineers
participating at the national level. One key thing we need is better
coordination and communication between these individuals and local and state
concerns. The internet will help immensely- if we learn how to use it wisely.

With the July SEWC world conference in San Francisco, we may find it
increasingly relevant to have delegates participate at the worldwide level on
structural engineering issues.

In all these arenas, there's no equal substitute for direct personal contact
in meetings and by phone.

So it comes down to two choices for future direction: We can isolate ourselves
or expand our spheres of influence. Expansion is our only practical choice if
we want to have a say in most future policies. That'll probably mean higher
dues.

I don't understand the isolationist rumblings in the South. What gives? Fred