Re: Engineering ethics

At 04:09 PM 5/30/98 -0400, you wrote:

>The owners of the building (WHO ARE REGISTERED ENGINEERS!!!!) have failed to
>have the building repaired.
I have had a face to face conversation with an SE who is working for the owners and he does not disagree
>with my opinion.

Please note the above portions of your e-mail that I have placed in bold type.

I think it is time for you to let this one go unless your are very certain that this building will collapse or the public is in emminate danger.  If you are that certain that this is so, then why do other professionals disagree?  Be assured that I am not questioning your assessment of the structural integrity of this building.  Even if all of us on this listserv were to agree with you there apparently exists other opinions.  In a court of law, where you could find yourself over this,  you would be facing these opposing opinions, and be all on your own.

I have seen my own well thought out and documented opinions, rebutted by another engineer.  I continue to believe my own work is correct but the building still stands, no one has been injured, even though this 1920's, multi story, non ductile concrete frame school is  occupied in the area of highest seismic risk in California.

In my day to day life I have seen buildings that have very poor structural systems, if any.  I can't fight all these battles over poor design or repair and would probably lose if I tried.  I am not and can not be the building police.

Your concern for the public has to be commended, and ethically I think you have done very well.  I also can't logically see any reason that you would assume any liability over this.  Unless this building is going to fall down I think you have done all that you can.

David Carpenter