RE: SEAOSC Board Inquiry from Warren

Fred made one comment that I felt was very important:
"The Internet will help immensely- if we learn how to use it wisely."
I also agree that the Internet does not eliminate the need to over-the-table
discussions, however, it is a great tool for preparation and intermediate
work between meetings.
The big question:
Fred, how about starting the ball rolling with some constructive idea's that
can be accumulated for the CAC (computer Applications Committee) to help
with? We have discussed this many time, but what we lack are constructive
rhetoric and examples to integrate the Internet tools into productive
national committee work.
Second, how can we get it to work if some of those talented national figures
are not computer literate?
Third, how do we provide sufficient incentive to assure that all information
regarding the work of the committee's is available to every engineer that
wishes to participate?
Fourth, considering the goal of the national committee is intended to
benefit the global engineering community, should those wishing to
participate be required to be members of a professional organization? I do
not feel that membership in SEA or NCSEA (or ASCE, CELSOC and others) need
be required of those wishing to shape the development of code. Although I'm
sure it was for different reasons, I do not remember representatives of
local building departments being members of SEAOSC to work on the URM codes.
I think that this is detrimental since it eliminates created minds who are
not affiliated from participating.

How about starting the ball rolling - I might just reconsider my SEAOC
renewal if we start becoming productive!
Dennis Wish PE