Subject: Staad PRO
Author:  MIME:HMORERA(--nospam--at)GoodKindInc.com at INTERNET
Date:    6/3/98 9:43 AM

I haven't played around with STAAD/PRO much but it contains a module
called Struct. Etc. which I understand to be the Enercalc Structural
Library incorporated into STAAD.  I've used Enercalc alot (the old Lotus
for dos version) which I find to be handy for all sorts of things
(simple beam design, section properties, retwall design, etc.).
Otherwise, the only other neat thing which we have notice is that you
can create your own template for printing out calculations (to make it
look like your company computation paper).

Concerning those initial bugs, the first version they sent us did not
work at all.  The version we are currently using seems to work well (at
least the analysis module).  Creating input interactively seems alot
more powerful with dialog boxes to assist in defining geometry and
member properties.  We haven't used the FEMkit, Visual Draw or FabriCAD
yet.

Be prepare to use up a couple of toner cartridges printing out all of
the manuals which come in PDF format.

Concerning reliability of the output, the analysis portion appears to be
consistent with previous versions.  Someone in our office did a 3D FEM
run using 8 node elements on a box girder bridge and the results were
pretty much the same.  That plus a couple of runs we did to compute
thermal stresses between several fixed piers appears to be the same.
Sorry, we haven't used the design capabilities yet.

I'll keep you posted if anything unusual happens.  Hope this helps.

Hector