Re: SEAOSC Board Inquiry from Warren

Fred,

I'm sorry you perceive our desire for strong local sections as isolationism.  We
certainly do not see it that way.  Why do we have to forsake what has made us
strong to move into the national and international arenas?  We are where we are
today because of the membership.  Strong local sections allows those members to
participate in the various committees.  Those committees then have representatives
that sit on the State committees.  With the internet we have the ability to
solicit comments from all our members on all engineering issues.  We simply need
to be more diligent in getting that information to the web and available for those
member who want to comment but are unable to participate in committee activities.
It is volunteerism which made SEAOC what it is--we now have the opportunity to
bring engineering issues right to the members at their home or office.  More
members will be able to participate.  This is not isolationism, this is increasing
our voice on the national and international levels through more participation at
home.  More opinions, stronger positions!

Fred, I hope this explains where I am coming from.  I don't feel I can speak for
the SEAOSC board but I can say that they would disagree with you on the
isolationism issue.  On the other issues you raise, I believe they would agree
with you.

Rick Ranous