90# Phone Scam

With the usual disclaimers, I am forwarding the following telephone scam
warning for your consideration:

Be on alert to the following:
Got this at work and thought I'd share . I received a telephone call from
an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician that was
running a test on our telephone lines.  He stated that to complete the test
we should touch nine (9),zero (0), pound sign (#) and hang up.  Luckily, we
were suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company we were
informed that by pushing 90# you end up giving the individual that called
you access to your telephone line and allows them to place a long distance
telephone call, with the charge appearing on your telephone call.  We were
further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local
jails/prisons.  I have verified with UCB Telecomm that this actually
happens.  Please beware. This sounds like an Urban Legend - IT IS NOT!!!  I
called GTE Security this morning and verified that this is definitely
possible and DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.  It will give them access to your
phone line to make long distances calls ANYWHERE!!!! The Security
department told me to go ahead and share this information with EVERYONE I
KNOW!!! Could you PLEASE pass this on.  If you have mailing lists and/or
newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to
include this information.

Jeff Wykoff, PE, CE, SE, depending on what state (geographical) I am in.
jpwykoff(--nospam--at)mmm.com