RE: Friction factor for plastic flat bottom tank

I thank everybody who responded to my post.

As Bill noted in his response it is a common practice in the design of flat bottom tanks to resist the sliding by friction at the bottom, and to provide appropriate anchorage for the uplift forces ( as per API 950 for example).  If you look at standard the anchorage design with chairs welded to the tank etc. it is hard to imagine to engage the anchors in shear action as their mode of failure would be flexure rather than shear.  The reason for the chair design is to distribute the stresses to some height of the tank wall as the bottom and wall plates are usually is not very thick, and to avoid the "elephant foot" type of failure that was typical for unanchored or poorly anchored tanks.

	|____|___
	|         |     / a.b. chair
             tank wall  |         |   /
	|         | /
	|         |/
 ------------------------------/ |
tank bottom	          | anchor bolt

That's the design of the steel tank.  With plastic it is a little different story.  The particular tank that I am working on has a thickened edge (with slightly oversized holes at the a.b. locations) at the intersection of wall and bottom plate sticking outward, and the uplift anchorage in achieved by providing a sort of L-shaped clips that are attached "upside - down" at the thickened edge and tied down by the anchor bolts.  Something like this:

             tank wall 	|
	|___ |___ anchor clip
thickened edge	|       |\     |
tank bottom	         | anchor bolt

Anyway, here is what I did for this particular application.  I assumed 0.15 friction factor for plastic to concrete so to design a.b. for half of the total base shear.

Thanks again,

Sasha Itsekson, PE