RE: COMP: MS Bookshelf98

I highly recommend that you start talking to your computer - seriously. I
have been using a program called ViaVoice Gold from IBM. Although it is
intended to serve two purposes - dictation and menu commands - I use it 99%
of the time for voice commands. The majority of commands are not written by
me, but automatically detected by the ViaVoice every time you launch a
program. Essentially, it creates a macro for any command that uses a series
of keystrokes to get through the menu structures or keystrokes used for
shortcuts.
I have used it most productively in Autocad (or any Windows based Cad
program). Not only does it save from having to find your way through layers
of menus but it keeps you focused on the drawing. This really helps reduce
design time.
The latest version is very good about filtering out background noises -
however it's simple enough to put it to "sleep" when you are not using it.
If you a slow typist, the dictation part of the program can keep up with
around 125 words per minute with about 95% accuracy. The more you train the
program for specific inflections or accents, the greater the accuracy.
Personally, I do not find the dictation useful since I can type almost as
fast as I can think. If I force myself to dictate, I tend to lose my
concentration and line of thought.
At any rate, I can highly recommend the voice command programs that are out
there. Most require anywhere from a 100 MHz Pentium and faster. The faster
the better. Prices range from Free (there are some voice activated macro
programs including one from Microsoft that I believe are free) to between
$49.00 and $150.00. I have tried about six different products over the last
few years. IBM's ViaVoice Gold is on the top of my list.
Dennis