Re: Q&A - Future of Server

Please note my responses interspersed with the questions.

Bill Cain, SE
Albany, CA

James S. Lai wrote:

>This web server requires continuing improvement and maintenance. In
>order to assist your future board to make plans for continual growth and
>maintenance of the web server under volunteer effort, we seek your.
>wisdom and comment on the following questions:

>1. Do you visit the list server because of its contents?
[BC] Yes and for the ability to discuss issues of interest and for the
immediate responses available and for entertainment (particularly when some
posters take themselves too seriously ;< 0  ) and to meet new friends across
the structural engineering profession in cyberspace.

>2. Do you sign up the list server because of the name seaoc.org?
[BC] No. I signed up for the content. It could have been called anything as
long as it was a bunch of SE's and lurkers "hanging out" and doing what we
have been doing.  The listing on the website saying that the listserver
existed was what got me to sign up.

>3. Do you like the idea of a change of name to sea_int.org ( which stand
>for SEA International)?
[BC] No.  Is SEAOC.ORG broke?  SEA_INT.ORG would be the ultimate Board ego
trip!

>4. Will there be draw back if the name changes within the next 3 months?
[BC] Why change something that is not broken?

>5. Can you adopt to a change of name within the 3 months transition?
[BC] See answer to No. 4

>6. Can you volunteer to assist our CAC to maintain this server?
[BC] Depends on in what way. You need to be more specific. I'd be happy to do
whatever I can.

>7. If the server is run by an outside vendor other than our members,
>will you continue your support?
[BC} Only if it works as well as it does now, which is probably unlikely.  Why
not PAY an INSIDE vendor, Shafat, to do it if you're going to get a paid
vendor. He has done an outstanding job to date.   If funds are a problem, get
all the California groups to pitch in (As a SEAONC member, I'd be happy to see
SEAONC support it although I think SEAOSC has shown they have what it takes to
make a good thing happen and probably should remain in the lead). Whatever
happens, don't turn it over to a group that would run it for the advertising
revenues they could generate (do that on the website as is being done now).

>8. Do current vendors participate because of the seaoc.org name or the
>popularity of the server?
[BC] They'll go anywhere they can make a buck (except for Bruce Bates who
seems to just want us to accurately know how things work without all the
exhortations to buy his product  :<)  ).  I don't think the name matters to
them.  It's the people they can contact (Right, Joe Deppe?)

[BC] These questions as posed make it sound like something sinister going on
here or am I just paranoid?  These questions sound like someone has an agenda
besides making the listserver perform the functions it now does quite well.
And that agenda seems to be spelled EGO!  My dad used to tell me: "If it's not
broke, don't try to fix it."   That seemed like good advice many years ago and
seems like good advice today.  It seems to me that the listserver is working
quite well thank you.