What a terrible tragedy (Humor)

Forwarded message:

  A newlywed farmer and his wife were visited by her mother, who
  immediately demanded an inspection of the place. The farmer had
  genuinely tried to be friendly to his new mother-in-law, hoping that
  it could be a friendly, non-antagonistic relationship. All to no avail
  though, as she kept nagging them at every opportunity, demanding
  changes, offering unwanted advice, and generally making life
  unbearable to the farmer and his new bride.

  While they were walking through the barn, during the forced
  inspection, the farmer's mule suddenly reared up and kicked the
  mother-in-law in the head, killing her instantly. It was a shock to
  all no matter their feelings toward her demanding ways...

  At the funeral service a few days later, the farmer stood near the
  casket and greeted folks as they walked by. The pastor noticed that
  whenever a woman would whisper something to the farmer, he would nod
  his head yes and say something.

  Whenever a man walked by and whispered to the farmer, however, he
  would shake his head no, and mumble a reply. Very curious as to this
  bizarre behavior, the pastor later asked the farmer what that was all
  about.

  The farmer replied, "The women would say, 'What a terrible tragedy'
  and I would nod my head and say 'Yes, it was.' The men would then ask,
  'Can I borrow that mule?' and I would shake my head and say, 'Can't,
  it's all booked up for a year!'"

Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (Structural)