RE: W/C ratio

Read the references and studies of Jim Shilstone, David Whiting, and Robert Ytterberg.  There are several tests with varying water contents, cement contents, w/c rato's. There was little difference in drying shrinkage.

If you would like other references, look at 2 additional studies one PCA work by Gebler and another ACI SP-68 study by Rixom & Waddicor.

Now if we are talking plastic shrinkage, that is different topic. And the higher water contents do make a difference.

The high levels of drying shrinkage of grouts are not due to w/c ratio's.  The high shrinkage is more due to the lack of large or uniformly graded aggregate.  Aggregates do not shrink.  Drying shrinkage takes place in the cement paste.

The high range water reducers also reduce the amount of cement in a given mix which reduces drying shrinkage.  The w/c ratio is not the issue, the amount of cement paste in the concrete matrix is more the issue.

Harold Sprague
KL&A