Re: Q&A - Future of Server

Hello:

Here is my opinion on the questions posted

>1. Do you visit the list server because of its contents?

Yes!  Plus one of the major benefits of Internet (which not many people
agree to is that it is free informations :) )

>2. Do you sign up the list server because of the name seaoc.org?

No!  It is the contents

>3. Do you like the idea of a change of name to sea_int.org ( which stand
>for SEA International)?

Not really!  I feel it enhances the name of SEAOSC and the amount of work
that has been put by its members in promoting this.  Probably this has
helped increase the awareness among the younger engineers at school and
other engineers.  Has the membership increased due to this?  Does SEA
International mean that there is going to be a new association? Would it not
be better to just call it SE International or International SE???

BTW someone at the sci.engr.civil is planning to start a new structural
engineering group.  I have heard that the CAC was working on it for a while.

>4. Will there be draw back if the name changes within the next 3 months?

A little confusion!  Right now i am a bit confused - Are u planning to
change the name of the mail list server or the web server?

>5. Can you adopt to a change of name within the 3 months transition?

Are there any hidden problems expected during a transition?  What do you
anticipate?

>6. Can you volunteer to assist our CAC to maintain this server?

Yes!  I beleive this can be done remotely?

>7. If the server is run by an outside vendor other than our members,
>will you continue your support?

Should not be a problem as long as there is not much of a visible change.

>8. Do current vendors participate because of the seaoc.org name or the
>popularity of the server?

Vendors are business people and they sure want to market their name.
Vendors participation will be directly proportional to the popularity .
Right??

- Aswin