Re: FEMA 310, Handbook for the Seismic E

Rick Ranous wrote:

. > In many ways we are being USED by FEMA ...

It is not only FEMA that is USING structural engineers, but many other
organizations as well.

I am serving on the Tucson/Pima County Building Code Review Committee and
repeatedly find that recommendations of SEAOA are ignored.  It has become my
practice to state that SEAOA's objections are to be written into the record.
I am about to ask that our objections be included in any
report/recommendation to the governing bodies.

I can see that when something happens, the building official(s) will tell the
public that the building code was reviewed and approved by the professions
and they (the building officials) are only doing what the community wants.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona