Re: FEMA 310, Handbook for the Seismic Evaluation of Buildings --A Prestandard.

>From New Zealand I can share your concerns.  In the NZ National Society for
Earthquake Engineering working for a government authority there appears to
be government political and interest group pressure to temper applications
for upgrading buildings unsafe in earthquake.  Any application that results
in more front end cost is strongly resisted, in spite of potential longer
term costs and benefit/cost advantages.  And in spite of any need for a
defensible position after the event!

Fair to say there is divergence of opinion amongst engineers as well.  Some
say "too tough and too expensive" while others say the proposals are
unconservative.  I guess we have it about right???

> Snip
> Rick Ranous, SE
> California State--Emergency Services
>------------------------------------
> FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > If you like FEMA 178, 1992, you will love FEMA 310, "Handbook for the
>  Seismic
> > Evaluation of Buildings -- A Prestandard" prepared by the American
>  Society of
> > Civil Engineers for Federal Emergency Management Agency.
> Snip
> >
> > Frank E. McClure   FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz