Re: Q&A - Future of Server

Response from Bruce Shephard, New Zealand.  I am not a SEAOC member.  I
mostly "lurk".

My response follows as annotated.

> 1. Do you visit the list server because of its contents?
YES. Most postings are of personal interest.  About 20% are relevant to
current work.  Some good contacts have been made and followed up by e-mail
as a result.  Humour is enjoyed.

Freedom of, and access to, information is important.

BUT, it is important to use appropriate subject headings, to properly snip
followed up by e-mail.

> 2. Do you sign up the list server because of the name seaoc.org?
SIGNED on thru SEAOC as a matter of interest, now continue because of
content.

> 3. Do you like the idea of a change of name to sea_int.org ( which stand
> for SEA International)?
NOT a sensitive issue.

> 4. Will there be draw back if the name changes within the next 3 months?
NOT a sensitive issue.

> 5. Can you adopt to a change of name within the 3 months transition?
YES.

> 6. Can you volunteer to assist our CAC to maintain this server?
PROBABLY not .  Not effectively anyway.

> 7. If the server is run by an outside vendor other than our members,
> will you continue your support?
PROBABLY yes.  Subject to content and non-intrusive commercial content.
Avoid access to spammers.  A spam source will result in my stopping use of
the list server.

> 8. Do current vendors participate because of the seaoc.org name or the
> popularity of the server?
CANNOT speak for vendors.  Vendor activity has not been intolerable to date.

ALSO, my compliments to Shafat for his work and personal assistance to me.

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz