FEMA 310

The comments and concerns raised by Frank McLure and others are
important. I can only speak for the process that FEMA 310 will undergo
between its publication in early 1998 and its development as a standard.

The "pre-standard" was handed over from the public sector (FEMA) to the
private sector (ASCE Standards Committees) in January. FEMA is now out
of the process. What happens to the document is in the hands of the
structural engineering community.

The ASCE process now underway, is to ballot the pre-standard. With this
initial ballot the Standards Committee on Seismic Rehabilitation of
Structures will have a sense of the concerns of the profession. It will
also know the areas of general acceptance. The committee will review the
ballot responses, respond to them and re-ballot the draft standard.

To accomplish this the Standards Committee will form several task
groups. These task groups may be divided up by materials issues,
analysis issues, procedures, etc. I do not know the exact makeup until
the returns are sorted, within the next month.

This process will not be on a tight timeline. It may take two years
until a consensus is reached. The next committee meeting will be July
19, 1998 from 2:30 PM through 8:00 PM (?) - hopefully not that late. At
that meeting the ballot results will be discussed, task groups assigned,
then we move into revising the proposal.

Mel Green, Structural Engineer
Chairman
ASCE Standards Committee on Seismic Rehabilitation