Re: Period Calculation for One Story Building with Flexible Diaphragm, FEMA 3

For such a short (one-story), but long (80x120) building with concrete shear
walls throughout, can't one assume that T will be low enough that the "value
of C need not exceed 2.75" per Section 1628.2.1 and proceed from there to
calculate the seimsic force (V = .183W for Rw=6 and I = 1.0 in seismic zone
4)?  This is what we design all of our one-story shear wall buildings for,
without doing any other fancy calcs.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.