Corrosion Protection of Structural Steel

I have been encountering a problem with the requirements for corrosion protection of a overhead steel awning at a Bay Area school. My interpretation of the code requirements would be that a corrosion protection equal to 1.5 oz./ft^2 galvanizing is required, unfortunately the governing authority does not share my view point and is seeking a Hot-Moped roofing system as the only option. If anyone has any experience with this issue it would be most appreciated.

<<application/ms-tnef>>