Re: Period Calculation for One Story Building with Flexible Diaphragm, FE

Dear Colleagues,

I apologize for taking up so much "band-width" on the SEAOC List Server on the
subject issue, but it would seem to be a very simple problem how to calculate
the "actual" fundamental period, T, of a one story building with a flexible
roof diaphragm, using FEMA 310, page 4-3, Section 4.2.2.1.1, Equation (4-1).

I have received only three responses from the many subscribers to the SEAOC
List Server to this simple question:  How to calculate the "actual"
fundamental period, T, of a one story building with a flexible roof diaphragm?
Please refer to my initial June 11, 1998 posting to the SEAOC List Server on
this subject.

Of the three responses, the best two came from Charles O. Greenlaw.  I want to
thank him for the insight and wisdom in his responses.

FEMA 310 will be - or more accurately is now - the "de facto" standard for the
seismic evaluation of buildings, because of the premature release by FEMA as
FEMA 310 in one of its "yellow" covered documents, despite the fact that it
has not been carefully reviewed and "approved" following the ASCE Standards
process.

To obtain your free copy, call FEMA Distribution Facility at 1-800-480-2520.

Again, I welcome more comments concerning the subject matter. Please send them
directly to me at my email address FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com if you do not want to
take up space on the SEAOC List Server.

Frank E. McClure    FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com