RE: Partially rigid connection design

>The difference between the "traditional analysis" and partial-rigid
>analysis is on the connector. The traditional analysis assumes the
>connector has an infinite rigidity. In most real structures, the
>connectors are deformable. Partial-rigid analysis takes the connector
>strength into considerations.
>
>I provide two sets of results, as below, that were extracted from
>partial-rigid analyses.
I've looked over the results and I'm puzzled by a few things.
Are these results from a linear analysis or an ultimate strength analysis?
Are friction and the effects of preload accounted for?
What is the significance of connector strength as a percentage?
Of what quantity is the connector strength a percentage?
If the connector strength is an input quantity, why are multiple inputs
required?
Is the designer meant to pick a stiffness for connection design from the
third column, based on the connector load in the second column?
Am I correct in assuming that connector stiffness and strength are to be
evaluated from the tabular data provided? If so, is this done in the
fashion illustrated by the paper I've referenced?

I should add that the variation of connector load with connector
stiffness is negligible for axial load and only about 9% for bending
moment, although the connector stiffness varies over several orders of
magnitude. Taken at face value, the results show a negligible variation
of connector load with stiffness, and I'd conclude that connector
strength is much the more significant variable. Perhaps I've missed
something, but I can't see engineering value in the approach.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw