Re: Masonry Parapet Walls

One method I have used is to remove the parapet entirely to the line of bearing of the roof framing.  I replaced the parapet with a wood framed parapet braced, at the top, back to roof.  If the building is historical and the original parapet must be matched, you can use one wythe of the orignial brick tied as a veneer.  If there are no historical issues, a simple stucco coating will protect the wood framing.  If there are historical issues maybe Nels Roseland can respond with more specifics.

Gilligan wrote:

 Working on a project where the block & brick parpet wall is bulging at a line approx. where the timber joists bear. Wall is about 3 feet exposed to south, north facing, over 50 years old, old stone coping which leaked (has been repaired).  Generally all the criteria to have a troubled parapet wall and it is troubled. What is the fix for this wall? Remove and rebuild brick and block parapet? Any suggestions for remedy in the "fixed" wall.