Screen Anchors in Unreinforced Masonry

Can you help me please with two questions about using screen anchors in
unreinforced masonry like the Hilti Hit Adhesive Anchor System?

1. Is it structurally preferable to drill a hole right through the face of
clay brick masonry for anchors with shear loads or should the holes be drilled
in the mortar joints? Does the preference depend on the relative strengths of
the brick and the mortar? In our case, we have very weak mortar and fairly
decent brick, but only two wythes. I'm concerned that drilling in weak mortar
might propogate more cracks than just drilling right into the brick.

2. For historical buildings, which type/location of holes is more "reversible"
i.e. to patch at a later date? The holes are intended for temporary security
measures. The preservation architect fears more irreversible cosmetic damage
to the building if the holes are drilled right in the brick. Which hole
location can later be more easily patched to match the original undrilled
color/texture?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Fred Turner
Staff Structural Engineer