Re: Moment connection

The easiest approach from a design standpoint is probably to base the
strength on the welds to the flanges only. That is the stiffest point
anyway.

If you can't get enough strength out of that, the second easiest approach
is to also use the welds to the web but provide a back-up stiffener on
the opposite side to transfer the force back out from the web to the
flanges on the other side.

If you want to avoid the back-up stiffener, you'll have to deal with the
effects of the relative flexibility of the web versus the flanges with
some sort of effective length approach. If the effective length limits
the strength to below that which you need, you're back to the second
paragraph.

Charlie