spangler formula / convective forces

Does anyone know the technical basis of the spangler formula used by AWWA
M11 to calculate the horizontal deflection of soil buried pipe.
I?m mainly concern with the term     I = transverse moment of inertia per
unit lenght of pipe wall.

A collegue (don't remember who) was asking in this list about convective
forces. Please have a look in 6.1.3.1 of Philip Myers'ABOVE GROUND
STORAGE TANKS.

thanks.

Thanks