RE: Screen Anchors in Unreinforced Masonry

Isn't the diameter of the hole for the screened anchor 1 inch.  Considering that the thickness of the mortar joint is 3/8 inch to 5/8 inch there will be some damage to the brick itself if you drill into the mortar joint.  Obviously not as much as if you drill into the brick itself.

Is this an application of the tension-only anchors or combination anchors?  I would seriously consider anchoring into the brick if the anchor is to resist in- plane shear loading, unless there is testing showing the shear capacity of the anchor in the mortar joint for the wall discussed.

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson, PE

<<1. Is it structurally preferable to drill a hole right through the face of
clay brick masonry for anchors with shear loads or should the holes be drilled
in the mortar joints? Does the preference depend on the relative strengths of
the brick and the mortar? In our case, we have very weak mortar and fairly
decent brick, but only two wythes. I'm concerned that drilling in weak mortar
might propogate more cracks than just drilling right into the brick.

2. For historical buildings, which type/location of holes is more "reversible"
i.e. to patch at a later date? The holes are intended for temporary security
measures. The preservation architect fears more irreversible cosmetic damage
to the building if the holes are drilled right in the brick. Which hole
location can later be more easily patched to match the original undrilled
color/texture?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Fred Turner