Fwd: FEMA 310, Handbook for the Seismic Evaluation

To: SEAOC List Serve Administrator

Please post this message, which is a response to a recent comment
concerning FEMA 310 that appeared on the SEAOC list server, to the SEAOC
list so that all who read the original comments have an opportunity to
see the response.  Thank you.

Diana Todd

Frank:  Always good to hear from you and thanks for your continuing
interest in
FEMA 310.  This time, however, I have to take strong exception to at least two
of your statements.  First of all, your comments, oral and written, were
ALWAYS
given very heavy consideration and, in one way or another, ALWAYS answered.  I
personally participated in the process. (And you would not let us get away
with
it if it had been otherwise!).  Secondly, the Cooperative Agreement between
ASCE
and FEMA clearly states that FEMA would publish the results of the effort in
which you participated, but that the process would continue under ASCE
responsibility and according to ANSI procedures to transform the
"Pre-Standard"
into a "Standard".  I am surprised that you were not aware of this
stipulation.
Since this stipulation is a fact, I believe your comparing FEMA's
publication of
310 to "giving approval for the use of a drug without proper testing and
evaluation" to be most inappropriate and without merit.
I hope, Frank, that you will continue to apply your not inconsiderable talents
and experience to making 310 a good Standard. All the best.

Ugo Morelli-FEMA Project Officer for FEMA 310