Re: Civil PE Exam

I think that *anyone* taking an exam should go into it with the philosophy
that he/she wants to show how much they know, not how well they can finish
one problem.

That was the philosophy that I used when I took my (Arizona) P.E. exams many
years ago.  I first looked at the exam and found out how many problems had to
be done, then I divided up the time by the number of problems, e.g., 4
problems in 4 hours would mean 1 hour a problem (high math!).  Then I would
knock off 15 minutes, and allot myself 45 minutes a problem.  At the end of
the 45 minutes, I would *stop* working on the problem, even if I had it
"almost" finished, and go on to the next problem, and so on.  After I had
worked the allotted time on each problem, I would go back to the first
problem and narratively state (or complete) in 15 minutes (max.) how I would
complete the problem.  I felt that way, I would be showing "how much I knew."

Unfortunately, this method can't be used with multiple guess tests --- they
just want to see if you can come up with the same answer that they did,
whether or not you used the right method.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona