RE: temp steel

Mark,

As silly as it sounds, we do that all the time at the front face of
retaining walls where we are required to place #16 @ 450 mm vertically
and #16 @ 300 mm horizontally (or #5@ 18" and #5@12" - the latter being
slightly more steel than #4@9").  I believe the concept is that thermal
stresses are worst in the long direction (horizontally).

Hector

P.S.  Beware, this is east coast mentality.