RE: concrete in corrosive environment

Jerry:

Talk to a corrosion engineer.

Neil Moore, S.E.

>I am involved in a project in Newark NJ where a building is being
designed, supported on piles.  A environmental investigation was performed
at the site.  The results were that for the soil, methane and hydrogen
sulfide were found in the soil gas sample.  The report states that hydrogen
sulfide is corrosive to metal and cement.

>In the groundwater samples, the Total Dissolved Solids indicate that
brackish conditions exist (> 1000 mg/l), the chloride concentrations are
considerably above the average of 6 mg/l, and hardness values indicate
relatively hard groundwater (>200 mg/l), and concentrations of sodium
ranged from 10-100 mg/l to > 100 mg/l, with the higher concentrations
deeper within the saturated zone ( at least 20 feet below grade).

>My problem is that I am now trying to determine whether steel or concrete
piles would be better in these conditons, and what to specify for the
concrete in the pile caps and grade slabs.  When I called the environmental
engineer, he was unable to offer any advice.