Re: temp steel

I don't think so. If you consider the wall as a basement wall, then 3/4" cover criteria, which is
in para 14.3.4(b) doesn't apply.  Granted, this section of the code appears to be written with
building walls in mind and doesn't address retaining walls.

IMHO, you should have two layers of steel.  3" cover where placed against earth, and 1-1/2" cover
at the exterior side.

Lew