Re: temp steel

I don't think so. If you consider the wall as a basement wall, then 3/4" cover criteria, which is
in para 14.3.4(b) doesn't apply.  Granted, this section of the code appears to be written with
*building* walls in mind and doesn't address retaining walls.

IMHO, you should have two layers of steel.  3" cover where placed against earth, and 1-1/2" cover
at the exterior side.

Lew