concrete in corrosive environment

Jerry:

I beleive that "Material Engineering" covers this topic.
If I understand the problem correctly, advice of a such engineer  is
required in order to design the "concrete mix" for this kind of environment.
In my opinion there also some provisions on the protection after the
construction.

Regards,
Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)
Vancouver, B.C.

_______________________message separator_______________

At 02:52 PM 6/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am involved in a project in Newark NJ where a building is being designed,
supported on piles.  A environmental investigation was performed at the
site.  The results were that for the soil, methane and hydrogen sulfide were
found in the soil gas sample.  The report states that hydrogen sulfide is
corrosive to metal and cement.

>In the groundwater samples, the Total Dissolved Solids indicate that
brackish conditions exist (> 1000 mg/l), the chloride concentrations are
considerably above the average of 6 mg/l, and hardness values indicate
relatively hard groundwater (>200 mg/l), and concentrations of sodium ranged
from 10-100 mg/l to > 100 mg/l, with the higher concentrations deeper within
the saturated zone ( at least 20 feet below grade).

>My problem is that I am now trying to determine whether steel or concrete
piles would be better in these conditons, and what to specify for the
concrete in the pile caps and grade slabs.  When I called the environmental
engineer, he was unable to offer any advice.