Screwed Gypboard Shearwalls

Now I know that Gypboard shearwalls are not used in California, but I was
hoping that someone out in SEAOC Listserv world would have an answer for us.

The UBC has values for the nailing of gypboard shearwalls, but we have
contractors that want to screw the gypboard in lieu of nailing.  One of our
engineers was at a job site and the gypboard shearwalls were all beat up from
the nailing while the screwed non shearwalls looked great.  Has anyone ever
seen or allowed screws to be used in lieu of the nails?

Patricia Small
Tucson, AZ