Tile trip-up on SOG

I recently inspected a VCT (vinyl comp. tile) that was newly applied to an
existing Slab On Grade.

40,000 square feet, tilt-up, commercial box.  Everything was fine, except for
the following:

Along one line, the entire length of the building about twenty feet out from a
wall and parallel, the tile buckled.  It was right along an expansion joint in
the slab below.  The contractor claims that this happened AFTER installation,
which is now about a month ago.  The tile sort of "^"-ed up, two tiles only as
shown (sort of) on the sketch below:
_____/\___  ( __ = tile floor newly applied to existing slab)

The height is exaggerated on the sketch above, but in anycase it now presents
a tripping hazard and must be repaired.

My first inclination is that this is not due to expansive soils or to
perimeter settlement.  The soils report is negative on expansive soils, and
their are no cracks in the existing, fifteen year old tilt-up walls.  In
addition, there are no floor problems anywhere else in the building, and the
grade is constant across the expansion joint, i.e. the slab is the same elev
on either side.  I also have not heard of any recent earthquakes there.

My thought is that the expansion joint was not properly prepped, and that the
mastic did not adhere to the grout/caulk/dirt/whatever that was in the joint.

But I would appreciate hearing the collective acumen of the Hive before I
proceed, thanks,

Brian Veit, P.E.