Re: Screwed Gypboard Shearwalls

Ask the Gypsum Assn. in Washington, DC.  Bob Wessel of GA commented that screws
tend to break (brittle fracture or low ductility) in shear wall applications, so
they used nails when deriving shear wall values.  However, doesn't UBC gypsum
wallboard provisions have some rules on substituting screws for nails, but maybe
not for shearwalls?  Screws are preferable in fire-rated assemblies, at least for
ceilings.
John Rose/ Tacoma, WA