Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Earthquakes and land movement + claim of properties

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In message #06 for the seaoc digest dtd June 19,1998
Ralph Hueston of Richmond CA asked: 
"Would you own your neighbor's house?"
(if after an earthquake it moved or partially 
moved to your property)

Legally yes, its possible, but not always.  
.... here in the Philippines, we can always negotiate and get it back for free.

As far as I'm informed, all titled land properties have their technical
based on its registered geographical position. A Geodetic Engineer is usually 
consulted for this kind of job if property lines had moved or not. Geodetic 
engineers use sun's ephemeris* for short cut measurements and checks for bench
marks. You may file a case for a claim after you have proven that indeed the
is now within the limits of your registered property. (*Sun's ephemeris table is
on your national weather stations' publications)

a distant but related topic:
Our neighbor (man A) built his house (whole structure) on an adjacent property 
(probably he didn't consult a Geodetic Engineer) . When the owner of the 
land (man B) came and saw what happened, he immediately informed the 
authorities that the house was constructed illegally. After a few talks, man B
said to man A " If you can remove the house from my property, then you can have
for free". So man A consulted an Architect. The Architect placed a steel frame
the house with rollers and moved the house without its original foundation. So
man A 
and man B became good neighbors after that. (I'm not sure if the structure is
still sound 
after its long travel) 

Friends of the profession, is this possible for high structures. If yes, what is

the limiting height or proportion with respect to its base measurements? Thanks
in advance!

Gil R. Monsalud  C.E.
Cainta, Rizal, Philippines