Re: Screwed Gypboard Shearwalls

Thanks Thor!  I was happy 'lurking' to see what "good ole USA" had to say.

NZ has a brand name "Giboard" and "Braceline" system consisting of cardboard
sheathed gypsum board, with nail, and nail and washer, fixing systems which
are rated for shear wall resistance by test.   The Braceline system can be
configured for up to 3000 kN per metre wall length.  One side timber stud
wall lined with "Giboard" is good for 1100 kN per metre wall length minimum.

The testing agency (Building Research Association NZ) has a site with
information available for purchase at:

www.branz.org.nz

The supply company from whom literature is obtained is:

Winstone Wallboards Ltd
P O Box 12-256
Penrose
Auckland
New Zealand
Telephone +64 9 633 0100
Fax  +64 9 633 0101

They provide free information plus 'design' software.

Screw fixings are not used.

I THINK design is based on fixing capacity at 18 mm deflection for 2.4 metre
stud wall height.

>  > Subject: Screwed Gypboard Shearwalls
>  > ...............>the nailing while the screwed non shearwalls looked
>  >great.  Has anyone ever
> >seen or allowed screws to be used in lieu of the nails?
> >
> >Patricia Small
> >Tucson, AZ
>

> I have seen such systems in New Zealand before I left there in 1991.
>  There were also on or two systems that had national approval to the
>  extent that some developers started looking at building entirely out of
>  drywall units called, I believe, "Triwall".  Whether that system has
>  still developed or not I don't know.  Bruce Shephard in NZ may be able
>  to enlighten us.  It would seem to be highly quality assurance-dependent.
>
> Thor Tandy
> Victoria BC

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz