Re: Screwed Gypboard Shearwalls

Roy G Taylor wrote

> I am sure that my former work collegue, Bruce Shepard, also of New Zealand, won't mind if I let you in on the fact that we take three zeros
of Bruce's "Gib" and "Braceline" sheathed plaster wall cladding system
lateral load capacity most of the time.

Considerable push-pull laboratory testing on gypsum board bracing
systems has been done under simulated seismic conditions to the point
where quite a high level of confidence is held in at least one
manufacturer's proprierty sheathed gypsum board wall cladding as a
seismic bracing system.

Cardboard sheathed gypsum board is well established here as the main and
often only bracing system in 3 or 4 story timber buildings.

A major advantage in practice is construction cost savings because
the smooth wall gypsum board linings which are there
for finishing and fire rating reasons  etc also forfill a major
structural function at no or small extra cost.

Roy G Taylor Peng (Canada,Structural)

DIRECTOR
CONCRETE TANK CONSULTANTS
WELLINGTON