Steel: Moment Connections

I'm designing connections for a steel fabricator for a building in Maryland.
I have a question that comes up regularly in designing moment connections.
Why do folks specify that the beam web connections for shear use slip critical
bolts?  The beam flanges are to be welded to the column flanges.  I haven't
seen an AISC design example that uses slip critical bolts for the shear load.
Many of the examples in Volumes 1 & 2 of the AISC Manual use bearing bolts
(type X or N connections).  Under what conditions are type SC shear
connections required in beam to column moment connections?  When are type X or
N shear connections OK in beam to column moment connections?  Thanks in
advance for any input.

Jan Harris, PE
Liberty Engineering, PC