Re: FOS for Overturning

The first one is correct. It is stated in the Structurel code of the
Philippines 1992 (based on UBC 1988) that The base overturning moment  for
the entire structure or for any one of the individual primary lateral
resisting elements shall not exceed 2/3 of the dead load resisting momemt.
If your structure is less than 20 m tall or has a height to width ratio of
.50 ot less in the wind direction, the combination effects of uplift and
overturning maybe reduced by 1/3.
It is not correct to say that  " Even statics claims that is
overturns about both sides simultaneously" because you have to choose which
side you analyze depending on the wind direction and take moment about the
corresponding toe.

In your case:

overturning Moment =  10 x 4 + 3x2 = 46 K
Resisting Moment =   15 x 4(2/3) =40K < 46 NG

But it would be conservative not to include the effect of soil pressure at
the sides of the footing.

Resisting Moment 2 = 1/2(k)(q)(h)(h)*1/3(2)

To use this for force you should add a slab at the top of the footing.
see  the book " Design in Structural Steel" by John Lothers 3rd edition.
page 274. Footings for tall isolated commercial signs.

My 2 cents worth. I hope this helps

Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.
Iloilo City, Philippines