-----Original Message-----
From:	Serroels, Chris/SAC [SMTP:CSerroel(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent:	Thursday, June 25, 1998 12:30 PM
To:	'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject:	RE: Torch Cutting Steel

The steel being cut is a low-alloy steel, A242 Grade 45.  The plates are 1 1/2 inches thick.

What are the adverse effects on alloy steel?
[Harold Sprague]  Alloyed steel has several elemental components that are essentially frozen in a matrix to create a particular type of grain structure.  Heating the alloy steel above specified alloying temperature limits can cause changes in the grain structure and deposits of various elements, markedly changing the mechanical properties in the heat effected areas.

Any special considerations  considering the type of steel involved and the thickness of the plates being cut?
[Harold Sprague]  This is a weathering steel and cutting this steel with ox-acetylene should not be a problem.  Depending on the length and looking at the plate thickness I would suggest mounting the burner on a track to get a nice smooth cut.  Done correctly it will look like a saw cut.

 Chris

<<application/ms-tnef>>