Re: 60,000 psi limit on Reinforceing bars

I agree.  When performing checks on existing structures, the actual
yield stress can and should be taken into account.  However, for
design of new structures, the code is quite clear: the nominal yield
strength of reinforcement for seismic design cannot exceed 60 ksi.
The mill certificates are not available during the design and the
designer must use A706 or A615 reinforcement (and the nominal yield
values found in the ASTM standard).  Thus, where ACI 318 is the basis
for NEW DESIGN, this limit must be obeyed.