RE: Steel - Acme thread

Harold,

Have you thought of going to a manufacturer of these?   We did a project
a few years ago where we used Duff Norton Jactulator mechanisms.
Basically they are acme screws with gear boxes that can be advanced
along the screws.  We added hand cranks, etc. This all supported
machinery which had to be height adjustable.  See
http://www.duff-norton.thomasregister.com/olc/duff-norton/mact.htm.

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons
Atlanta, GA