From: Dennis S. Wish [mailto:wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com]
Sent: Friday, June 26, 1998 12:00 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: RE: Trading of Electronic Drawing Files

I agree wholeheartedly with Bill. Bill defines what every Architect and
Engineer (as well as anyone who provides a service that requires their work
to be done on some media) produces as Intellectual Properties. IP's are
protected by copyright whether stated or not. The only time that it may be
questioned is if there is a disagreement as to who originally created the
work.
The work is actually done as part of our creative cycle. The paper drawings
(or electronic medium) are only the instrument of our creation and are
therefore the property of the creator.
This has always been my interpretation and includes all of my drawings and
calculations.

Bruces idea is great if you are only distributing bluelines at the job site
which are not intended to be used for other than markups and or preliminary
design. However, as electronic medium becomes the media of choice, I would
try in every way possible to protect my work and this includes not
distributing the electronic drawings.
We discussed this once before. I routinely distribut PLT files of my work
which can not be converted (at least I don't think it can) to a editable
drawing.  DXF files can be turned into drawings very easily and are not
released from my office.
Bill Allen likes to create DWT files which can be distributed and viewed on
Internet browsers that have the appropriate plug-in.
If the client is working in an electronic format, it should not be
unreasonable to provide him with a copy of your work that can not be
modified.

Dennis Wish PE

Dennis Wish PE