Re: Building an additional storey to an existing hospital

My understanding of the UBC, is that if you either increase the loads to
an existing system, or decrease it's capacity, the system needs to be
brought into compliance with the current code.  It may be different if
your governing agency (such as DSA) uses a different code.  I personally
think it's prudent not to increase the demand on any system when you
know there are deficiencies.  You are then just increasing the risk of
the occupants of the building, not to mention your own.

Steve Privett CE