RE: Building an additional story to an existing hospital

(I'm assuming from your e-mail address that you are in Canada and NBCC =
Nat'l Bldg Code of Canada)

If you have read the literature regarding post-mortems for the 1971
Sylmar, 1994 Northridge, and 1995 Kobe earthquakes, you must have
noticed how poorly structures with column ties such as you describe
performed.  If the hospital is located in even a moderately active
seismic region, it could suffer collapse even without the proposed
addition.  Therefore, retrofitting seems to be in order as a first step.
As one of the other respondents suggested, this doesn't have to be such
a disruptive or expensive operation - and they do marvelous work with
fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar, etc wraps these days.