Re: Wood - replacing sill plate of bearing shear walls

At 07:22 PM 6/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Have anyone ever replaced the sill plate of an exterior bearing shear
>wall? It's a 10 years old multi-unit apartment building with water
>damage in some nonbearing and bearing wall's sill plate and rusted
>anchor bolts. I have the following options:
>
>1.  Temporarily shore the bearing shearwall, remove and replace the
>damaged sill plate with 3x plate and new Hilti-HSL bolts, add plywood
>sheathing at the inside face of the wall.  This option could be
>expansive.
>
>2.  Cut sill plate between bearing studs and install new 3x plates with
>new studs nailed to existing studs and add hilti-HSL bolts. The new
>sheathings will be nailed to the new sill plate pieces and the new
>studs.  This option seems to be cheaper and avoid temporary shoring.
>Note that there are 3 stories on top of this wall and fully occupied.

Tom,
I was faced with a similar situation at my own home. Our issue was the
deteriorated brick foundation on a newly purchased 110 year old Victorian
and due to the historical aspects, we didn't want to change the exterior.
Utilizing a 3'-4' crawl space beneath the house, we placed a new 2x6 plate,
complete with 5/8 anchor bolts right alongside the existing plate and
lagged it into the first floor framing system.  We then used a shotcrete
approach to create an entirely new 6" thick foundation and bearing system
while not disturbing the existing.
This may not be an approach for you, but it wasn't that expensive, was
quite simple and gave me the best of all worlds.

Sandy Pringle
www.sic-inc.com